Hi, my name is Tonya. Welcome to my corner of the world. Where the dirt road ends, roosters crow in the distance, a batch of cookies are always in the oven and sweet tea flows freely. If you’re looking for a place that feels a little like home, a place to hang out, troll for southern recipes, laugh about the stupid things that life has to offer and maybe shed a tear at the goodness of God, then this just might be the place for you.
Raised in the deep-south, surrounded by strong southern women, I quickly learned that the staples in life are to love your family with all you’ve got, love Jesus even more, fry anything that will hold still, bless hearts, hug necks, make the kitchen the hub of your home, and always find the laughter in everyday life. And, If you can’t find it—make it.
At the ripe old age of 19 I left my momma, my red MGB convertible and the salt air of the gulf coast to attend Central Bible College in Springfield Missouri. That’s where I met Mr. Wonderful and the winds of change began to blow. 32 years and four kids later, I am now living the dream. Raising chickens, kicking dogs off the porch, cooking like Granny did and raising an ever-growing family at the end of a dirt road in Verdigris, Oklahoma.
Join me as I share the good, the bad, the ugly and the funny of everyday life. All of it. My life is no story book. My children are no angels. My husband’s knuckles drag the ground occasionally and I, for the life of me, cannot not make my own mayonnaise. Believe me, I have tried and failed many times. So if you have been looking for a place that celebrates life in the raw, a place where you can feel normal, like you belong, then look no more. Take a look around, try a few recipes and drop me a line. I’d love to meet you!
Random facts you may or may not want to know:
- I am an only child.
- Puppy breath makes me all happy inside.
- Butter is my best friend. (Seriously, it has never failed me.)
- I have terrible handwriting. So I type.
- I took dance lessons as a kid from age 3 to 15.
- I suck at math
- My nickname in high school was buffalo butt.
- I am addicted to diet coke. I know, I know…they’re bad for me.
- I am a story teller
- If I could go barefoot all day, every day, everywhere, life would be perfect. It’s a southern thang.
- my grandkids call me Sweet T, button pushers call me Sweet tiki (I’ll give you the back story on that another time) and I’m known simply as ‘momma’ by all my kid’s friends.
- Once upon a time I was a cooking instructor at Tulsa Tech. I loved teaching but hated the paper work.
- I am 100% sanguine which explains why I hate paper work
- I had never seen snow until I was in college
- I could live on donuts and diet coke
- There are only three things I’m scared of…actually petrified of:
- Cockroaches to be specific. I had a hard time just typing the word!
So, if I had to go to a dentist that was on the 27th floor and a roach crawled across the floor, well, lets move on…
What thrills me:
- Entertaining! There’s nothing more exciting to me than entertaining in my home. We have some acreage, so large crowds meandering about out our place, eating, laughing, kids chasing chickins and gathering the eggs. Now that’s what I call a good time.
- Teaching people how to cook. One of my greatest joys in life is banging around in the kitchen until I come up with something delicious to eat and then sharing it with others. To inspire someone to push beyond their fears and inhibitions in the kitchen gives me great satisfaction.
- Digging around in thrift shops gets my creative juices flowing. Goodwill, Salvation army, Junk stores, antique shops…the junkier the better! Unearthing something that has seemingly lost its purpose inspires me to give it a brand new purpose. My current crushes are milk glass and silver.
- Road trips. Windows down, music blaring, a plethora of junk food at arm’s reach and a diet coke in the cup holder. Yeah, road trips are where it’s at.
- Binge watching Downton Abby. I was born to be Lady Grantham surrounded by servants and ladies maids but one thing led to another and I ended up here in Verdigris, Oklahoma frying chicken.
- Public speaking. I know this is most people’s greatest nightmare, but put me in front of a crowd and hand me a microphone and I’ll be as happy as a pig in the sunshine.
Things I hate (strongly dislike):
- Coffee. Iced coffee, hot coffee, coffee flavored desserts or coffee flavored anything for that matter.
- Making my bed. This does not make me a bad person. It just makes a person who hates making my bed.
- Math. I hate math. I suck at it actually. Mr. Wonderful is good at math. He’s a CFO for heavens sake so it works. Opposites attract at its finest.
- Eggs and tomatoes. Hate them both.
- Mouth noises. If you have known me more than five minutes you probably know this about me. Mouth noises send me through the roof. Smacking, chewing, whispering, kissing, clicking, sucking of teeth…well you get the idea. Just don’t do it and well get along just fine.
I told one of my kids I was writing my, about me, page. “That’s easy,” he said, “you’re a crazy woman from Alabama who loves to cook and takes care of eight kids”. I guess that pretty much sums it up.
I am a wife, a mother, a teacher, a dreamer and a writer.
I am proud of where I have come from, I am tolerably content with where I am, and I’m excited about where I’m going.
“For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”